I’ve been working on my house a tiny bit at a time pretty much since we have moved in. You might recall my little cabinet experiment from a few months back where I tried to figure out what to do w/ my 1979 cabbies. Rather than removing the countertops, sink, and appliances which is a huge pain if you’re not actually replacing the countertops, (ours are granite already, though not my fave, they are totally fine and not worth replacing) we are opting to resurface our cabinets vs. replacing them all.
Initially I thought I would do the lowers in this blue style and do the uppers with the same shaker style but paint them white. But now I’m really feeling the blue, especially since I’m painting the walls a nice warm white, I don’t want it to end up too vanilla. Plus, I know everyone is into white cabbies right now, but I have children and we are messy and white cabbies look yucky SUPER fast. But I’m getting ahead of myself.
Here is the chunk of kitchen I’m working on now, BEFORE:
In an effort to not live in a total construction zone for the rest of our lives (ha ha, we totally still do!) I’m taking this one chunk at a time.
Here is the basic idea: our doors completely flat on the inside so I’m cutting 3″ oak lattice to fit and glueing it to the insides of the doors, which will become the new outsides. The smaller pieces like drawer faces and some of the skinnier cabby doors will get the 3″ lattice and some 2″ stuff out of necessity.
So this little bank of 6 cabbies ended up taking me WAY too long again, this time because I was experimenting with how to fill the gap between the strips. The stuff I used last time (a powdered wood filler that you mix with water and smush into the gaps, then sand smooth) has been chipping off in chunks as the doors get slammed by kiddos.
I decided to try paintable caulk. This sounded like a good idea because it’s flexible so wouldn’t chip. I ran a line of caulk in the cracks and then with a wet hand, smoothed it out. This was pretty messy, but it looked pretty good…until it dried and shrunk into the gap a bit. I didn’t like how it looked, so back to the drawing board.
And here’s what I decided on: good old fashioned sheetrock mud. (sorry no pic!)
I doubt this is the intended use for sheetrock mud, but honestly it works perfectly. Fill the gaps, sand and paint and the doors were ready for install.
After a few tries and fails with the hinges, I finally found some that sit flat. Since the doors are inside out, the bevel of the old faces pushes them out a bit, but the right hardware allows them to sit pretty flat and they look great.
The backsplash was a quick little project, a few sheets of baby subway tile, some of these really nice edging strips, and a little thinset and it was done.
Pro tip: a score-and-snap tile cutter makes this kind of project MUCH quicker and less messy than getting out the tile saw. Plus, for less than $20, I don’t know why I didn’t get one of these sooner. So much easier. I’ll be picking up some of the other manual tile cutting tools for the rest of the project.
That’s all for now, I’ll keep you posted as I work my way around the kitchen! Only 27 more cabinets to go haha!