Lots has happened this year, along with selling our townhouse and buying a real big grown up house in the ‘burbs, we are having a baby! In Jan! It’s quite exciting. But also, we have been so busy with all of this other nonsense that I haven’t put a ton of thought into what to do with this new child when it arrives. One morning I decided I needed to do some craigslist browsing so I would, at the very least, have a place for this child to sleep. I used a moses basket with HB and loved the convenience of being able to move her around easily. Plus I think cribs are over priced and their use is too short lived for me to want to purchase one. I also do not enjoy leaning over them to comfort baby so I don’t really want to deal w/ that.
I scored a gently used moses basket with a rocking stand for $40 on craigslist (probably $150+ new). It came with a mattress, but it’s one of those “waterproof” mattresses that is so crinkly I couldn’t bare to make a baby sleep on that noisy plastic thing. I decided I could create a few spare mattresses that would be washable and that is just what I did. =)
The project was fairly simple and probably only took a few hours, although I worked at it over about 2 weeks. I used the old crinkly mattress as a template. I traced around it onto a piece of cardboard and cut it out. Then I laid the cardboard template onto my fabric, which I had already folded in half in order to get two identical pieces. I lined one edge of the template up with the folded edge of the fabric which reduced the amount of stitching I would have to do.
After I had all 4 pieces cut out, I used the template to cut out the stuffing. I got regular quilt batting and folded it in half so it would be double-thickness. Sorry I don’t have a pic of this, but I think you’ve got the idea.
First, flip the fabric so it is right-side-in. Stitch around the edges leaving about a 8 inch opening somewhere in order to stuff it. I left my opening on the straight part. Once I stitched, I flipped it right-side-out and carefully placed the stuffing, making sure to spread it out evenly. Then I folded in the raw edges and top stitched the hole closed. I know there are methods for making this part of it invisible or less visible but this is not important to me. I repeated this process with all 4 mattresses.
Since I want these to be washable, I needed to make sure the stuffing stays in place in the dryer and these things always lay flat, vs. getting all bunched up. I was planning on just doing some top stitching w/ the machine but the thickness of the batting wouldn’t allow for it. I pinned the mattresses in several places, cushion style and hand stitched the batting in place in a similar manner as one would use to attach a button, only sans button, and ended up with a bunch of little x’s holding the batting in place.
So there we have it, one thing placed in the empty room, waiting for baby to come and snuggle in it and another little project wrapped up: four, washable, non-crinkly, non-noisy, baby mattresses. Total expense: $40 for basket, $24 worth of fabric and stuffing, about 2 hours of effort. That seems like a sweet deal to me =)